Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Hurry Up, Why Don't Ya!

So what's the delay?? 
Some may wonder what takes so long between posts....

As I contemplate starting this blog for the 50 states I struggle with what format I should use. Part of my hesitation is because I spend so much time learning about each state. I want to share the enjoyment of my knowledge with others without making it seem like a textbook (this is for my purpose just as much as it is for yours). I also don't want to make it seem like a boring slide show from some distant crazy relative you're forced to sit through, about some vacation you'll never go on. I realize this project is for my enjoyment and quite frankly, I am shocked at how much enjoyment it has actually given me. I've had many mindful moments to stop and really think about the past, present, and the future throughout each location I'm researching. I thought I would start by explaining the process I'm taking.

Step 1: Smithsonian Channel has a great series called Arial America. This show allows me to see a "flyover" of the state along with a narrative of some good information about the states history. This is the show that made me want to do further research on my own. Okay, let me rephrase that; this is the show that made me realize my boys were probably not as invested in my project as I am, and that I should just go for it ~ it's okay; now I get to have "fun" and add some twist and turns to my project. 

Step 2: Once I get a general feeling about the state I read and I then I write anything I like about the state (sounds like fun so far right?). Since my brain injury, my eyes like to skip around which means my reading takes longer. In order for me to remember things I find that writing things down really helps. I have composition books to scribble in ~ and many scribbles there are! The more research I do, the more things I find interesting, the more I write down. Ironically, 10 pages pass in my composition book and I realize when I'm writing the same stuff down from 10 pages ago. I suppose that reinforces the learning process though.

Step 3: Now somewhere about the middle of the state, in probably the middle of the night, a chord will strike (although it may just be a note from an instrument here in the house) I have the urge to draw. My drawing adventures started this spring during Covid. Previously it was set in my mind I couldn't draw so I never really slowed down to try. I spend a week or so drawing on my map of the state and then venture back to my research. In the future I am going to post these as I am drawing so you can see the progress I am making.

Step 4: This is when I realize I've forgotten some of my research, so I do more and I write more down ~ but I really enjoy doing the research. It's very calming (now) ~ I used to hate it when I was in college. Reflecting back I think that is partly due to the fact you need to give credit where credit is due. Unfortunately, I have not kept proper footnotes - but I will try my best not to plagiarize anyone's work. As I do the research I find more things to look up, more places to explore. Since Covid has happened, several museums have made virtual tours and on-line aids for teachers (which everyone has access if you dig long enough). I watch videos, I read, I read some more. I re-read. I have things read out loud to me. I've had college teachers refer to this process as "going down a rabbit hole" because it can be a waste of time.

Step 5: "Participate in the state." Make food from the state (Well, Jeff does this one). Order postcards, stickers, or souvenirs from the state. When I'm virtually traveling through each state I'm try and find a unique bar or winery that stands out and I will order something from them to put in my photo-book. Unfortunately, I don't think I can order beer across state lines to try. I want that "unusual place" though - not those places everyone already knows about. 

Step 6: I watch Smithsonian Arial America - Again. I know this seems a bit redundant but for me the 2nd time around makes a lot more sense than the 1st time. I can now picture in my mind which corner of the state everything belongs. The placement of the rivers, lakes and mountains make more sense as well as the history of the resources of the land.

Step 7: Time to write my story to go with my knowledge. I also draw more pictures. This is when I try to connect my knowledge with the family and make it fun. Something needs to connect in my mind that says "gee, that sounds fun ~ let's go down that wild and crazy road with the family."

I have to say I've been a little shy about what I'm doing. It's a bit hard to put myself out there and be "exposed" for everyone to see. I've learned during my Alabama research that my "filing system" of my note-taking is poor to say the least. It makes trying to explain the ideas in my head very challenging and frustrating. I now understand why students give up on writing and walk away. I've never had this problem before and at times I've wanted to quit - but I won't.  It just means I have to find a new way for my broken brain to rethink ~ and that's okay. I love what I am doing. 

I tell Jeff almost every night that this research, and drawing, really makes me happy. The challenge of re-writing and retelling in a brand new way is exciting to me. 

At the moment I have at least 10 blogs started (yep all going in just a little different direction~ silly brain!!) .. so just hang in there with me.. 

I'm a work in progress.

Love you all! 
Christina 

No comments:

Post a Comment