Friday, August 14, 2020

Alabama Map drawing

Day 1 - Alabama Map Drawing 

Day 1 - Map Drawing (it's probably day two - but it's the first day I took a picture; I'll get better at this in the future - I promise). When I decide on something to draw I look up a reference picture and examine it for awhile. I use it on my phone as a guide on how I should draw each item. Sometimes things turn out my first try; other times they take many many tries! The shading in the mountains took forever to get it how I liked them in my final picture!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Day 2 - Map Drawing 

Note: The map outline of each state is already in the book for me. I am just drawing in additional features I found interesting during my research. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Day 3 - Map Drawing

When I am drawing I use pencil. Sometimes the shading disappears; this frustrates me a lot since I generally spend a lot of time putting details into the shading. It also allows for new discovery in finding different ways to shade or another way to look at the picture itself. I started to use pen to fill in the outline. Sometimes the pen is too heavy and changes the appearance. It's all a learning process for me since this drawing thing is all new to me.It's fun but it can be challenging and frustrating at times. 
 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Completed- Alabama Map Drawing 

I think one of my biggest challenges is knowing when to stop drawing. I would put something in every blank space if I could squeeze something in there. I'd add a tornado down the middle of the state or a glass of sweet tea someplace ... everywhere following the tornado! I think the map is full though and I must press on to the next step of my process. 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Hi Tina! This is amazing. Wow! You have done a fantastic job. And the images are apparently being resampled by the blog softward because the final drawing (Alabama) is only 120 kB to the viewer. That's small. Quick loading. Certainly nothing you need to be concerned with. The blog looks great. Your organizational skills - and methodology at getting a state's report together - is way ahead of the curve. I've seen a lot of "professional" stuff that is without nearly as much thought - andn certainly nowhere as artistic as what you've put together. The state chambers of commerce would pay to have this kind of stuff available to potential tourists. Keep it up. It is fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina,
    I am so interested in your process as well as the final product! I realize it must feel vulnerable. But it must also be so therapeutic!
    Thank you for sharing and I look forward to future blogs. Love, Denice

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun way to learn about a state :) I think you are an amazing artist �� ❤

    ReplyDelete