Monday, October 5, 2020

My Alabama "Postcard" Artwork

My Drawing of an Alabama "Postcard"




Below are just close up shots of the drawing and the process in which I went through to get to the final picture. 


The Edmund Pettus across the Alabama River Selma, AL


Little boat in the Alabama River 


I wanted to make sure everyone could read the information about Helen Keller




            I had to add a train cart since the rail road was a big production in Alabama


Music is definitely important  


Yes, that does actually say "Hello Sequoyah" in the Cherokee language.

 

Below is my Helen Keller drawing. She is the part of my postcard that I had the hardest time getting to a point that I liked her face. At first I had her looking straight at me, I really wasn't happy with my outcome. Then I took a nap and changed the reference picture that I was using. I found this other reference picture and turning her sideways made it a lot easier to draw. I also found using a picture that is not as famous as some others so people don't already have a preconceived idea in their minds of what it's supposed to look like is a good idea. 



The actual picture was taken when she graduated from college:


Not bad for being someone who was deaf, blind and dumb (as others would say)! I'm incredibly impressed by all that she accomplished in life! 


This is the first picture on my blank piece of paper


 So that is my step by step ... well minus a few steps that seemed repetitive ... hopefully this gives you an idea of the thought process I went through to make my own personal postcard for this state. 

Thanks for checking it out! 
Please enjoy the blog that goes with this drawing. 
Christina 💜

3 comments:

  1. Not only a great writer but an artist also!
    I hope you get your writings published some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute drawings there... I like the style! Mette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen Keller was one of my idols in granmar school after reading a biography about her. Great reminder!

    ReplyDelete