Friday, March 22, 2013

Mocha Chocolate White

3-21-13 Wednesday... Mocha chocolate white

Wednesday morning up we rose both with blank stares on our faces. Are we there yet?! do we really have to get back into the car? my hair is flat, no make up on.. Comb and go. No one is going to see me or care so lets get on the on the road. Out we went... Holy cow its freaking cold! 24 in Wyoming just has this certain brisk, rip thru your skin feel. It was a "dry" cold, the kind that that burns ur skin. We made it around the corner to the starbucks hoping for some energy boost. I ordered a "mocha chocolate white." the guy looked at me funny and asked "a white chocolate mocha?" I laughed and thought jeff would appreciate that comment since I often say things backwards when I'm tired. Yes, something with caffeine would be great! Wanda and I sat there waiting for this great energy boost and nothing.. No extra umph ever came. We eventually decided they must have given us both decaf coffees. An hour later we gave in to the fact that we were not going to feel any better and got in the car. The sky was grey, the cars around are all dirty with snow scum, and we we in Wyoming, it started a as gloomy day. Wyoming.. It probably has the motto "the land of the free." it should have the motto of "a whole lot of nothin' " because there is a whole lot of nothin' out there. But as yucky and blah as we felt we managed to follow the car forward and made it a few hours down the road. We stopped for gas and had some cheese and crackers to try and settles our nerves. My turn to drive. The snack helped my tummy and we managed to knock a few mores hours off the clock.

There were a few pretty spots along the way. We passed the continental divide at 7000 feet. "Really are we still that high?" We had no idea we were that high. My dad had sent me a few texts to be careful of the attitude sickness. I felt fine yesterday and I thought I was past the area of concern.. But 7000 ft is still pretty high up there. Then this little light went off in my head. The freight train that ran over both wanda and me must be attitude sickness. It didnt make me feel any better but at least there was an excuse to feel this blah.

The wind was intense! The semi's danced with another when one would pass. I've watched the wind movements between cars while watching nascar on tv. But when a semi passes another with these strong winds they both step an inch to the right, then an inch to the left. And as the semi finally passes and the wind releases there's a swift wiggle back and forth on both trailers as to wave goodbye, thanks for the dance. With two trucks the same size the wind would flow smoothly between almost in a rhythm, there was no way we were going to dance with two semi's. We always waited our turn for the dance until the other semi was out of the way.

As we would stop to pee and stretch Dot (wanda's dog) would look out and moan.. "Oonnhh" its too cold! I want my coat! Dot does not bark but she has quite the vocabulary of grunts and moans. And her eyes seem to tell u a story (when they are open). The passenger seat is her seat and it didnt take long on day 1 before I was just a seat cushion for her to keep warm. Dot even seemed to have a bit of attitude sickness as she slept much of the day.

We finally made our way to Gothenburg, Nebraska. wanda has a neighbor who grew up in this quaint little town in Nebraska and she is donatating some paintings to her high school. Wanda volunteered to be the means of transportation for the paintings; in return the school paid for her hotel room for the night. What a relief it was to get to the hotel!! We stayed at the comfort suites and it was a very nice place; quite the upgrade from a motel 6. The room was cozy with a separate sitting area with a couch and chair along with a desk. Oh and plenty of plugs so we could charge all of our electronics. Nice warm shower and comfortable non squeaky beds.

We made it! neither wanda nor I wanted to get in the car this morning, but knew we had to. Niether of us wanted to drive 8 hrs to Gothenburg... but we did it. There is a sense of accomplishment in the air tonight. we did it!!! And we both are feeling better. Goodnight!

4 comments:

  1. Attitude Sickness, Ha! What a great Freudian slip. And a great description of Altitude Sickness. It sneaks up and envelopes you completely before you ever even realize it's there. The. Blahs, a brain that isn't working, and a flat hair day. I could read it coming...

    I've driven 80 so many times across that stretch that I was riding with you as I read what you described.

    I will write more later once I'm certain this is working. I've written this comment twice and each time I hit post nothing happens. Hopefully this time it will take.

    LYB

    -dad-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In 1940 Thomas Wolfe wrote You can never Go Home Again. And so the discussion began. Home is not just the physical place where you grew up - it is the time and people, customs structures and technology with what you grew up. Home is a package deal. And returning 20 years later ignites a lot of the same corners within our person - but the little boy or girl in there isn't the one returning home this time. And the people we find when we return somehow got older and changed. Indeed buildings have changed, economies have changed, and the color of the lenses in the glasses we view through have changed.

      So in returning we live in dichotomy. Half of our person is in the past while the other halve struggles in this moment. So what to do? Perhaps sit in the present and watch the half in the past. The half in the past is probably more fun when we try to return home. If we don't run away from the ghosts and tears we eventually find solace and even frivolity as the half of us from the past dances and sings with what would otherwise make us sad.

      So going home is taking two separate journeys for the price of one. Such a deal!

      Take a shovel out in the circle in front of our old house and dig up your boots. Or better yet leave them right where they are for the next 20 years. Either way girl, you are home!

      I love you. I'm proud of you and David too! Its been quite a journey!

      -dad-

      Delete
  2. And yes, that was suppose to say altitude not attitude but it was one in the same :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand even more now why your dad always called you Lois Ann...I have dyslexic speech also. Lol. It started by being a smartass & then it just stuck with me the rest of my life. After my stroke, the therapist got the biggest kick out of it; she finally realized there was NO WAY TO FIX IT!!! She just laughed, smiled and tried to copy me. Sorry,I passed that on to you, or maybe it's just on our genes? LYB

    ReplyDelete