Saturday, March 30, 2013

Perfect

Dinner Thursday night... 3-21-13

Perfect

David's son Sean came to the house Thursday afternoon with his girlfriend Justine. We all went out to dinner to Godfathers pizza, which was on my "to do" list. I worked at Godfathers pizza when I was in high school for 2 years. The other 2 years I worked at dairy queen. As we sat there at dinner Sean and Justine giggled and flirted. Sean is 17 right now; I was 18 when I moved away. The guy I was dating before I moved away from Shenandoah is named Mike. His step daughter is Justine (confused yet?); now dating Sean.. So as I am sitting at Godfather's it was start of my reflection of seeing myself at 18 ... Flirty, carefree, no kids, no bills, just 18 in Shenandoah without a plan or worry into the future.

Later that evening, David and I spent a few hours with Sammy (his dog) in the garage. Jeff asked me "what do u do in the garage?" Well, we drank beer and talked... And talked, and talked. We had a very nice talk about growing up, our friends, our ex boyfriends/girlfriends, our families now, our parents, and life in Shenandoah. We talked about a lot about our mom and dad and how we miss them so much. It was comforting to hear my brother's memories as they brought on many memories of my own.

I struggle with my mom's death and it has brought on much pain in my heart. My mom was a wonderful, caring, beautiful, loving, mother. She was perfect in everyone's eyes but her own. As a young child I have memories of handmade clothing, homemade dinners, sunday school crafts, making homemade cookies (with batter on the ceiling), and card games with our church family.... We had perfect midwest life. but my mom had a lot of issues with wanting to be perfect, but I wish she would've been able to see how perfect she truly was. Not once did I ever see her as being imperfect.. Even as an adult with all of her struggles I still felt, and still feel, she was a perfect mother. Not everything she did was perfect, but she was always thinking about her family, even until the day she died. I wish my mom could've seen herself thru my eyes; and to see and know how special she was/is to us kids.

While talking my brother I had a few "ah ha" and "light bulb" moments about my mom and dad's paths and how they affect our lives. It also gave me more clarity on my own life behaviors. There are times that I struggle with my own imperfections and feeling I'm not good enough and Jeff will hold my hand and calm my nerves. What tonight showed me is that I am not perfect; I will make some wrong choices, and I will struggle with not being a perfect mother or being able to provide my children with the best clothes, toys, or other material things... but those are all things in my own head. Its ok not to be perfect and to make mistakes, to make wrong choices and say the wrong things. See that's not what makes me or my mom perfect.

My mom gave me a piece of paper with cookie cutter hearts drawn on them when I was in jr high. At the top of the paper it said "christina is:" and in each cookie cutter shape she wrote a different word. warm, caring, loving, beautiful, silly, sassy, funny, faithful, honest, thoughtful, perfect. Those are all words she used to describe me ...and those are all words I use to describe her... and I feel those r the same words I feel my husband and children would use to describe me now and I hope I will always be able to see that thru their eyes.. Yes, Perfect.

1 comment:

  1. It's so amazing as we age that we realize that YES, WE DO HAVE FAULTS, BUT IN THE EYES OF THOSE THAT LOVE US...WE ARE ALL THE THINGS YOU JUST DESCRIBED.
    I also struggle with my weight. Everyone else in the family was tall, thin, curly/wavy dark brown/blackish hair, fair skinned. I guess I got what was leftover. I wasn't exactly short, but shorter than everyone else in the family. I had brunette hair, mostly straight after my mom passed away. I had olive colored skin & I don't think I would qualify as skinny. I was much thinner in my younger years, but as soon as I left high school...everything I ate seemed to stay with me. I just kept getting bigger. I managed to lose over 100 pounds then I got pregnant again & gained most of it back. It's been a constant struggle ever since. I'm learning that I have to take responsibility & accept myself for the individual that I am before I can change. It's a tough thing to do...but your definitely on the right track! You ARE beautiful in every way. You are so much like your mom and in some ways like your dad. I'm so proud to see the woman you have become!!! I see the pics with your family and the love that shines in all of your eyes. PLEASE NEVER DOUBT: YOU ARE AN AMAZING WOMAN AND WONDERFULLY MADE! Our life experiences prepare us for things ahead. You are full of compassion and love! I can't express in words how much I love & miss you and your brother and both of your parents. The one thing in life I regret is not moving with y'all to Iowa when I had the chance. LYB
    Aunt Lois Ann

    ReplyDelete